Garden City Child Custody Lawyer
Helping Clients in Nassau County Understand New York Custody Laws
One of the most heated and sensitive topics in Garden City, New York, addressed in the family court is the issue of child custody.
Whether they are a divorcing couple or never married, parents will fight vigorously to win custody of their children. Sadly, in some custody cases, it is merely to spite their former partner.
Child custody hearings can quickly escalate into contentious courtroom battles. If you are involved in such a dispute, it is imperative to retain the advocacy of a skilled Garden City child custody attorney.
What are the Different Types of Custody?
The issue of child custody can be broken down into two different custody types: physical custody and legal custody.
Physical custody refers to a child's main residence – where they usually live in Garden City.
Legal custody refers to a parent's right to decide how a child will be raised in Garden City, NY.
Are you involved in a custody dispute? Call Jonathan E. Edwards P.C. today at 516-727-7203 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our child custody attorney in Garden City!
Do I Need A Lawyer For Child Custody?
Family court can be complicated, and there are certain factors that parents should consider for hiring a family attorney to help them navigate the legal system.
Having a child custody lawyer for you to offer legal suggestions can make all the difference.
Join Custody vs. Sole Custody
A Garden City court will decide which form of custody is most fitting based on the specifics of the parents' situation.
There are two primary custody arrangements available to Garden City parents, including:
- Joint custody – Both parents make decisions regarding the child's healthcare, education, and religious beliefs. They may also equally share physical custody, with the child going back and forth between both parent's residences.
- Sole custody – Only one parent can decide the child's upbringing. The child lives with this parent, but the other parent may be awarded visitation rights.
How Is Child Custody Determined in New York?
A host of factors are considered when deciding a custody case, but more than anything else, the court seeks to do what is in the child's best interests.
In order to do this, the court will thoroughly assess a number of different factors, including:
- The child's age and gender
- The physical and mental health of the child
- The child's education
- The child's normal routine
- Which parent is the main caregiver
- Each parent's lifestyle and schedule
- The parent's physical and mental health
- Each parent's ability to parent the child
- The child's relationships with siblings and other family members
- The financial security of each parent
- Each parent's willingness to cooperate with the other
- Each parent's willingness to encourage their child's relationship with the other
- Whether there is any past domestic violence
- The child's wishes, depending on their age
The outcome of your child custody case significantly impacts your life and your relationship with your child, so it is important to ensure you have powerful legal counsel in your corner to represent your interests.
Contact Our Garden City Child Custody Attorney Today
Couples residing in Garden City, NY, who are amicable and want to work as a team for the benefit of their children, often seek to share custody because they believe in the parenting skills of their former partner and the positive impact they have on the children. Former couples constantly fighting typically argue for sole custody, especially if one party believes the other is an unfit parent.
At Jonathan E. Edwards P.C., our child custody lawyers pride ourselves on our high-quality service to clients in divorce or family law matters. In each case we address, we focus on giving personal, individualized representation to the client. We will work closely with you in your custody case in an effort to secure a court decision that serves the needs of you and your child.
Contact Jonathan E. Edwards P.C. today to schedule a FREE consultation with our child custody lawyer in Garden City!
Learn how a Long Island divorce attorney can help you.
Our family law firm is dedicated to protecting your rights.
Start Protecting Your Rights
Take the first step in your case by scheduling a free consult.